Jock, Stuart & Craig follow in the footsteps of Bonnie Prince Charlie over Scotland’s highest mountain road.
The Corrieyairack Pass is an Old Military Road, built by the government troops under the command of General George Wade. The road was built over a summer in the year 1737 prior to the 1745 Uprising and stretches from Dalwhinnie to Fort Augustus. The Corrieyairack was one of a series of roads which linked various government barracks together, hence adopting the name ‘The Chain’. The old road from Dalwhinnie to the Melgarve Bothy can still be traced as it follows the A889 to Laggan, but is tarmac now instead of the old surface of stones. Where the road is broken there are the occasional Wade’s Bridges which reminds us of the line which the road actually took joining the new road from Laggan. The road then follows the River Spey to the bothy, it is at the Melgarve Bothy that our walk ends.
© 2009 – 2011, Tobar nan Ceann Gang. All rights reserved.